Sunday, July 24, 2011

One last hoorah!

It was necessary to post one last blog to share with you our disastrous end to the trip... 

After arriving in in D.C. at 8:00.... 40 minutes earlier then schedules... we thought things were looking good for our last journey before being home. We made it through customs in a timely fashion after claiming our luggage. It was necessary to stop at the first Starbucks we saw before heading through security and on to our gate. Since we had already had lunch (according to our schedule), we didn't need breakfast but we grabbed some Subway for later and hung out by the gate. Wi-Fi was available so we did some facebook updating and internet surfing. Across from our gate was a 10 minute manicure store, so I decided to hit it up for a quite polish :) Amber, Marilyn and I took turns taking our "baby wipe" showers in the bathroom stalls. We got into some fresh clothes and before we knew it, it was time to board. However, we were still about 40 minutes waiting for the "crew" to arrive from a previous flight. We were told they were coming from gate C and would be here anytime. Restlessness set in, and then it was time to board. The plane was TINY compared to the large international plane we had just come from. I'm talking 1 seat on one side, 2 on the other.... TEENY! We were settled with our seat belts fastened when the stewtest came over the PA saying that the air conditioning wasn't working so it was going to delay us a bit longer. Sighs were heard throughout the cabin and cold water was handed out throughout the isles. Next thing we knew it, we were de-boarding the plane because they could not get the air conditioned fixed and didn't want us sitting on a blazing hot plane while they worked on getting it in working order.

This was beginning to look and sound vaguely familiar. Let me remind you that our flight was canceled last year due to storms. We took our seat at the gate and were told it should only be another 30 minutes. 30 minutes turned into an hour, and Marilyn had the bright idea to go ahead and get in the customer service line just in case. Sure enough, our flight got canceled!!!! We were beside ourselves. During our wait, however, a gentleman sitting next to me phoned the 1-800 United number and managed to get put on another flight leaving at 6 from Dulles. Without hesitation I too dialed the number and managed to snag the last spot on the flight. I felt awful that I was unable to get my other too traveler on the flight, but Marilyn was in line and Amber was in the bathroom so I only had my confirmation number :( Luckily, Marilyn was next in line the customer service line, so she was able to book the first flight out in the morning for both her and Amber. She also rated a hotel, meal voucher, and shuttle for the night.

Amber and Marilyn waited around until I boarded my plane, which was also delayed an hour, and then headed to catch their shuttle to the Hilton A-Loft hotel. The flight took off without any more delays. I was much in need of a cold one, but unfortunately did not have any cash and they didn't take credit cards :( Happy to be home, I was greeted by my mom and Zuri at the airport. Tears filled my eyes, I was ecstatic to see them both and also happy to get a text from Amber saying that the hotel was super nice ($349 a night!!!!) and they were stuffed full with wonderful American food :) Off we went to home where I was more then excited to sleep in my own bed. We made a quick stop for a late night dinner and then it was bed time for me!

This morning, I left for the airport around 7 and crossed my fingers that things went smoothly for the girls this morning. They left the hotel at 5am and had to wait in the line for security for over an hour. Good thing they were 2 hours early! Upon their arrival to the gate, there flight had been delayed 40 minutes. A slight freak out occurred but thankfully they boarded and took off without any more complications! Charlie, Sam, Brenna, and I greeted the tired travelers, exchanged goodbyes, and picked up our luggage!

Though our trip ended with unwanted complications we are all back home safe and sound now! Be looking for many albums on facebook and wish us luck as we rest up and get ready for the coming school year!

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed!

P.S.  I currently am dealing with the itching of 35 bug bites, including one on my nose, one on my fore head, and 3 on the back of my hand!!!!! They loved me this year! Amber only has 6 and Marilyn ended the trip with 4! Not fair! I am just glad to be back with the Mosquitoes that DON'T carry Malaria!

No comments:

Post a Comment